So this post has come around quicker than I expected. This summer, I turned the ripe ol’ age of 29, and while I am still very much in my prime, it does get you thinking about things you’ve not done yet.
I’ve been thinking about things I want to get done, so I thought I’d write down a few goals I hope to achieve over the next few months, before the big dirty thirty. Y’know, to hold myself to account a bit.
- Give Blood – I have always wanted to do this, but have a SERIOUS needle phobia. Or should that be had. The thing about being preggo is… you don’t really have a choice but to get over it. and when you’ve had an epidural, what’s a bit of blood?
- Set up an Etsy store – I have had ideas whizzing around in my head for a while now and I just need to get off my bum and get them done! One of my favourite things to do is buy from some of my top small businesses, and I’d love to be able to see my ideas come to fruition.
- Finish a novel – I currently have two on the go. One of them, I have lost my way with a little, but the second, I am really excited about. I’d love to spend some really focussed time on it and get a first draft done.
- Re-read the Harry Potter books – might as well dedicate my thirtieth year on this earth to falling in love with the Wizarding World all over again.
- Get back to the West End – there are loads of musicals I’m dying to see, but haven’t yet got round to. I’m kicking this off with Dear Evan Hansen on Tuesday, and definitely have some others that need to join the list. I’m not going to set a number, because tickets cost an arm and a leg as we all know, but I really want to see Hamilton, Les Mis, The Book of Mormon (again) and Six.
- Sing on stage – I’ve done a few things with choir now, but so far, not got up on stage and sung for a crowd. I will be absolutely terrified, but I can’t wait to do this.
- Shop small – This is something I already do a lot of, but wherever possible, I want to shop from my favourite makers and support the little businesses.
- Regularly practice yoga – So I did a very short 8 minute yoga practice the other morning and the change in my mindframe from beginning to end was phenomenal. Ideally, I’d love to do some yoga every day, but I’m not sure how practical it will be, so I will aim for at least half an hour every week. That way, if I manage more then great. If not, then I won’t give up.
- Be confident – I can’t quite explain this one, because there are several things that are affecting my lack of confidence at the moment. But I would love to get to my thirtieth and be able to say ‘I am really happy with who I am’.
- Learn an instrument – I played clarinet in secondary school, and I started tinkering with keyboard a few years ago. I’d love to be at least a little competent in some sort of instrument – competent means being able to play ‘Oh When the Saints’ isn’t it?
- Learn crochet – I can knit, but crochet has always alluded me. I’ve been out and bought some yarn and hooks though, and I’m determined to be one of those people you see who can crochet with their eyes shut.
- Cook – I LOVE COOKING. I find it really therapeutic, even though I do weird things like chopping my veg really precisely. Sometimes though, I get into a rut and don’t cook properly and it makes me sad. I’d love to have lots of fancy kitchen equipment, but for now, I’ll settle for a decent set of knives and a few new pans, just to try lots of new recipes.
- Do karaoke – I have NEVER given over my inhibitions to gin and unleashed my inner Beyonce. Which, for those who know me, probably comes as a shock. I love singing, but I think a cheeky bit of karaoke is entirely different. So if you’re up for it… let me know!
- Raise money for charity – Another vague one. This year, I did a birthday fundraiser for Tommy’s. A couple of years ago, I swam in a 3k Pier to Pier Challenge for Pilgrims Hospice. I don’t know what my plan is, exactly, but I’d love to fundraise again before I’m thirty.
- Host a dinner party – I’m talking full on Come Dine With Me. With scoring. No £1000 prize though…
- Visit a comedy club – I’ve seen comedy on tour and been to a comedy festival event, but I’ve never been and sat in a comedy club before. There’s not much in the way of them down here, so it’ll probably be another trip to London, but I’d love to do it, just once.
- Visit more of the UK – I’ve seen shamefully little of this little island of ours. A few places I’d love to visit are Hull, Bath, Cornwall, Ireland, Edinburgh and Bristol. Probably won’t manage them all by August but it’s worth a shot!
- Read 20 books – I set myself a 52 book goal this year, which has WILDLY not happened, soz, but there are so many books that, as an ex-teacher and an English graduate, I REALLY should have read. So I’d like to get some of them done before I hit my thirties.
- Watch the sun rise – I. Hate. Mornings. I would love to get up early one time, somewhere beautiful, and watch the sun rise. I will probably return promptly to my bed, because a gal’s gotta sleep, but I’d love to say I’ve done it.
- Care about myself – Last night, I felt all the feelings, and it was really quite overwhelming. It’s usually a sign that I haven’t taken care of my mental health, or unwound for a while. Life has thousands of stressors, so I want to make sure I regularly take time for myself.
- Save £1000 – yeah this is ambitious before next year. But I have already started saving for Rufus’ future. I won’t manage this much (especially without an income as such…) but again, I’d rather be too ambitious!
- Learn DIY – I always rely on other people. Unless those other people go away, and then I decide to use a breadknife as a saw or a shoe as a hammer. But it’d be cool to know how to wire a plug, or bleed a radiator, or what the difference between all the millions of screws are. It’s boring, but necessary.
- Get another piercing – I’d really like my nose pierced, but I think my parents would disown me, and I’m not sure I’m brave enough. But I talked myself into getting a helix and tragus piercing a couple of years ago, and I’d like something else done. I’d also like a small tattoo, but again, I think I’d be parentless…
- Go to a casino – I have no desire to gamble, really, I just like the idea of going and playing the games and having a wild ol’ time.
- Take part in a protest – There’s way too much shit in the world. I joined the Women’s March accidentally a few years ago, when I was in London for the day. I want to make a placard and shout about something I believe in. I’ve been to several in spirit, but not yet made it to a proper demonstration. It’d have to be for the right reasons, for something I believe in, but I’m sure with all the bloody nonsense going on, there’ll be something…
- Vote – Yeah bit of a loaded one with the GE coming up. I’m not going to tell you who to vote for, or get into my politics. But if you have a vote, please, please, please use it. Even if you spoil your ballot. PLEASE go and make your voice heard.
- Decorate the house – I’d love to have completely decorated every room in the house by the time I’m thirty. And I mean properly, skirting boards and all, not just the fun bits. So far, I still have the dining room, bedroom, kitchen, my study and hallways to do. So lets set that as an aim.
- Run with my parents – I HATE running. I am not a runner. I haven’t run for ages. They love it and are very good at it. I need some physio before I can do this (which I am waiting on) but I’d like to run with them just once. I’d like to make it known that I can’t see this becoming a long term goal because I hate it. But yeah go on, once can’t hurt.
- Take a photography lesson – I have an amazing camera, which I love using for video. I’ve taken some lush photos with it too, but I’d love to be able to do more with it, because right now I rely a little too heavily on it’s auto features. I’d also love to learn a bit more about editing.
- Discover somewhere new – There is so much around where I live that I’ve never been and it’s ridiculous. I’d like to discover a new favourite place before my birthday!
So that’s it! 30 before 30!
I mean obv there will be other things I see and do (I hope!) before August. But this is a fun ol’ list to kick us off!